San Lorenzo Ruiz is a fifth class municipality in the province of Camarines Norte, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 14,063 people.
Formerly called Imelda, it was renamed on February 10, 1989 in honor of San Lorenzo Ruiz, the first Filipino saint venerated in the Roman Catholic Church, canonized on October 18, 1987.
In 1800-1896, the municipality was only a sitio. During the Spanish regime, it was a territorial part of Calasgasan, an independent municipality which was merged to Daet as one of its leading barrios after the American Occupation.
The seat of locality was a vast virgin forest during the Spanish time. A certain person in the name of Juan Aruljo of Guinobatan, Albay came to this place in the later part of 1890 and started clearing the forested area which was a sitio of Mampurog. The place was called Matacong which became a barrio in the year 1938 during the term of the late Mayor Santiago Carranceja of Daet.
In 1905, after clearing the area referred as Matacong Juan Aruljo, the first settler, sold the place to Victor Abaño. On March 1919 after a series of divisions and fusions, the province of Ambus Camarines was finally divided into two provinces – Camarines Norte and Camarines Sur, Daet became the capital of Camarines Norte. That time, Daet regained its barrios, the former territory of the municipality of Calasgasan of the Spanish days. In 1917, Victor Abaño sold the area of Matacong to Victor Racho. Later in 1938, the settlers and residents which grew in great number formed an organization called “Samahang Magsasaka” (Farmer’s Association). The organization represented and filed a resolution asking for the separation from Mampurog and creation of Matacong Council during the term of then Mayor Santiago Carranceja of Daet.
Again, Daet, lost its extensive territory in 1911 and 1948 when its most important barrios were created as the new municipalities of Basud and Mercedes respectively.
On November 8, 1970, upon the approval of Republic Act No. 6144 by the Congress of the Philippines, the municipality of Imelda was created. The barrios of Daculangbolo, Laniton, Langga, Maisog, Dagotdotan, Mampurog and Matacong were taken from Daet and the barrios of San Isodro, San Antonio, San Ramon, Salvacion and Manlimonsito from Basud to constitute the new municipality of Imelda. The municipality was named in honor of the Former First Lady of the country, Imelda Romualdez Marcos. Its first officials were elected in November 1971 and installed on January 1, 1972.
The seat of the new municipality was in barrio Matacong. The first municipal building was the residence of Hon. Paulino A. Belleza, a municipal councilman of the town. The residence was used as municipal office for the first three years. By the end of 1974, the municipal office was transferred to its permanent building at the present site. Lot was donated by the late Mr. Ernesto Velez.
The name of the municipality was changed from Imelda to SAN LORENZO RUIZ upon the approval of Republic Act 6708 on February 10, 1989 in honor of the first Filipino Saint who is also the patron of the parish.
San Lorenzo Ruiz is politically subdivided into 12 barangays.
- Daculang Bolo
- Matacong (Poblacion)
- San Antonio
- San Isidro
- San Ramon
|Population census of
San Lorenzo Ruiz
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
In the 2015 census, the population of San Lorenzo Ruiz was 14,063 people, with a density of 120 inhabitants per square kilometre or 310 inhabitants per square mile.
- Nacali Falls - barangay Maisog
- Nakawa Falls - barangay Maisog
- Angelina Falls - San Isidro
- Nabangko Falls - barangay San Isidro
- Ibatan Falls - barangay San Isidro
It's the longest zipline in the whole Bicol region located in barangay Matacong. The zipline is 750 meters long and is managed by the Local Government Unit (LGU) of San Lorenzo Ruiz. San Lorenzo Ruiz is aiming to become an Eco-Adventure town and the zipline is the start of their plans to add more facilities in the area to increase adventure sports like rappelling, water tubing, trekking, all terrain vehicle ride and many more.
Canyoning and River Trekking
The mampurog river have several meters of canyons and deep part of river that is suitable for canyoning activities. Canyoning is frequently done in remote and rugged settings and often requires navigational, route-finding and other wilderness travel skills.
On April 9, 2017 five explorers from Camarines Norte was given a permit by Nelson P. Delos Santos (Municipal Mayor) and Mr. Manuel Racho (Municipal Tourism Officer) to explore the Nacali Falls river and mampurog river as part of their dream to create a comprehensive list of waterfalls and different natural attractions in the province. One member of the team, Mr. Benjie S. Ilagan is a resident of Brgy. Mampurog and has visited Nacali Falls for more than five times. The other members of the team are as follows: Mr. Kimber Kaye S. Reyes as the team leader and navigator; Mr. Chris A. Camus the scribe; Mr. Gilbert Parale the timer and Mr. Jossiah Nathaniel M. Parena, aspiring to become a mountaineer and the youngest member of the group. A preliminary exploration was conducted prior to the actual exploration for the preparation and planning of the team. The team was surprised to see several meters of canyons and deep part of river that is suitable for canyoning Activities. The waterfalls can also be used for rappelling activities. The team also saw different waterfalls created by the big boulders present in the river. After six hours of river trekking and canyoning from the Nacali Falls river junction, the team found out that due to the limited time of the exploration, Mampurog river was not reached. Thus, the team recommends to the municipal Mayor and the tourism officer to allow them to explore the place in the future.
The recent discovery of a R. manillana haven in Mt. Guinatungan, a lesser-known mountain in Camarines Norte, Philippines, not only provided additional locality of distribution, but also resulted to better understanding of the taxonomic complexity of the Rafflesia species. While available literatures cite Rafflesia as critically endangered, interestingly, it seems otherwise in Camarines Norte. A recent Rafflesia expedition showed significant populations of this species. This situation calls for a multi-agency approach in management and actions integrating research and development that are focused on the conservation and protection not only of the species but more importantly its host and habitat.
Mr. George De Mesa Cordovilla, one of the participants in the “Tukad Bicol, Tukad Labo” Bantayog Festival climb organized by the Oryol Outdoor Group Inc. on April 15, 2016 was able to take a snapshot of the rafflesia flower. Mr. Cordovilla is from Albay and is known as the expert climber of Mayon.
SOURCE: Camarines Norte Museum Archived Shrine and Curation Division